Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Love In The Afternoon


It seems like only yesterday was just the beginning of Summer. The arrival of Fall is arriving as a disappointment for most people who go back to school and who enjoy the warm weather. Although I am starting college soon, I welcome Fall with open arms. I look forward to starting fashion design school, wearing scarves and gloves, and darker colors (which thankfully is 95% of my wardrobe). This is a back to school inspired look to bring back some 1950's-styled class to this world.


Featured in this look is actually one of the first tops I ever made. I love polka dots and the vintage high cut neckline. The cardigan with the silver chain lining is from White House Black Market, a store that understands class and how to incorporate it with mostly just black and white color schemes. The pastel pink skirt is vintage along with the white leather gloves. I got really lucky finding these heels at an antique store. They are vintage Escada that I snagged for 10 dollars.


"Gloves may appear to be an “innocent” article of dress, but they actually have one of the most thought-provoking histories of all garments. In the past, like present day, gloves were worn to protect the hands and as a fashion accessory, but what makes them so special is that they have a long history of being associated with numerous customs, practices, rituals and symbolisms." -HISTORY OF GLOVES AND THEIR SIGNIFICANCE

This is an excerpt from a very interesting article on the history of gloves. I believe that we should bring back gloves not only as a helpful piece to keep our hands warm, but as what their other original purposes were. They should once again be a staple in women's wardrobe. 

http://www.fashionintime.org/history-gloves-significance/








I hope this look inspires someone out there! I have been watching too many old movies lately, so my title was inspired by the film Love In The Afternoon with Audrey Hepburn. It is definitely a must see and will put a smile on your face.



No comments:

Post a Comment