Monday, January 25, 2016

The Adventure Suit


The year is 1948, three years after the second world war has ended. Luxury fashion is back on it's toes after Christian Dior released his "New Look" just a year before. His concepts and form are on the rise, and the world is anxiously awaiting each intricately designed garment. Designers, women, and celebrities are all inspired by this one man's creations. In our current day, I am equally inspired to replicate this look in my own way. Found only in a museum, the "Adventure Suit" is a stunning day-wear look from Spring of 1948. 


The original shown above features of button-up skirt made of wool, and a double breasted houndstooth jacket with a tie.


Photo of suit taken in 1954.


(Modern recreation, taken by the famous Patrick Demarchelier)
Shown here, is a checked pattern jacket, double breasted with a tie from http://www.yoyomelody.com/. Do you see the resemblance that I initially noticed? I had to have it! You can find yours here at http://www.yoyomelody.com/check-print-flare-sleeve-cape-coat-with-bowknot-embellishment-ja0230024-2.html


Though I may not have the original hat that was possibly worn with the suit, I do have my own original, designed by me. I was so inspired by all of Dior's ideas from his 10 year reign, and hats that adorned many of his looks. I had a vision to create a 1950's oversized, structured, black velvet hat, with a white satin lining (not pictured). Thanks to my mother's talent, she is able to bring these visions to life for me. 


Here you can see the full size of the hat. 


He didn't name it the "Adventure" suit for nothing. I had a wonderful day trip (my second actually) visiting Sherman, Texas. It is a beautiful town frozen in time. 




Sherman in the 1940's. 


Sherman today, taken by me. 


I do not own these two photos, but they perfectly show off the Touch of Class Antique Mall and the people who bring it all together. The name by far suits this antique palace. There are three floors filled entirely with rarities and pieces you only dream of finding. I found a beautiful late 1940's suit that I will be featuring soon! Visit their website at http://www.atouchofclassantiquemall.com/ and be sure to like them on Facebook!





After being so exhausted from shopping, this is the right kind of place for a pick me up. 


The Boiler Room is located inside a historical steam laundry factory from the turn of the century. There is also a second floor to eat and drink coffee from. 


I didn't catch the name of this artist, but the works really caught my eye. 



It just so happens there was a patio to sit at, and I couldn't help but take a similar picture to the 1954 Dior photo. 


Before leaving town, there was a car that went so well with the look. I couldn't resist!





The lipstick featured in this shoot is by Besame Cosmetics http://besamecosmetics.com/, a beautiful vintage inspired makeup line that will take you through each decade. I am wearing their 1946 lipstick, "Red Velvet" http://besamecosmetics.com/collections/lipstick/products/red-velvet-lipstick.


If you're looking for a good "adventure", make Sherman your next stop!

2 comments:

  1. Old Hollywood glamour perfection ~ there is quite a noir feel to this look and you pull it off with such aplomb. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  2. So elegant outfit :)
    BLOG M&MFASHIONBITES : http://mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr/
    Maria V.

    ReplyDelete