Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Betty Crocker


On a relaxing day at home, with nothing to do, why not bake? For me home is where I can be myself and dress up how I like. My world revolves around vintage and I can't help it if sometimes I like to pretend I'm in the 50's and put on some swing dance music. Of course, while wearing a dress from http://www.newdress.com/! They helped me put together the ultimate Betty Crocker shoot to enter into Lookbook's #Welcomehomelookbook contest. Featured in this look we have a vintage apron, Better Homes and Garden cook book from 1953 that belonged to my grandmother Dot, 1950's Pyrex bowls, with Betty Crocker utensils. 


I just love the illustrations used in the cook book. They were adorable and girly, making you happy to bake!


Some people may be surprised to know that Betty Crocker was a fictional character made up by the company Washburn Crosby (early General Mills), starting in the early 1920's. They chose the name Betty for it's happy and fun American ring and "Crocker" was derived from the last name of one of Washburn Crosby's directors, William Crocker. 

The woman who started it all was Marjorie Husted. Through being an intelligent businesswoman she sought after giving the company an image that would later turn into an icon. 


The first cooking show that was ever aired, starting on the radio was "The Betty Crocker Cooking School of the Air", beginning in 1924. The woman who played the original real life Betty Crocker was Agnes White, which launched her into anonymous stardom, running a 20 year contract eventually with NBC, CBS, and ABC.


Here is an early 1950's Betty Crocker commerical featuring the woman who later on portrayed her from 1949-1964, Adelaide Hawley Cumming. She is the one speaking near the end. 



Betty Crocker became more and more popular throughout the years and you can find her name in any grocery store. I chose to do a 50's style shoot with the famous red accents of the brand. With the pop of the red from my dress, it helped pull together the pinup style that I love. You can find this dress at New Dress at this link http://bit.ly/1Vk5NNA.








As you can see I had a fun and fabulous time, and made some blueberry muffins. The legacy of Betty Crocker lives on with us every day!

1 comment:

  1. What a cute series of photos! You make baking look fun which is saying something, because it's certainly not in my forte. I love the gingham and the polka dots and the red. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete